Friday, July 30, 2010

Hatiora salicornioides

Common Names:  Drunkard's Dream or Dancing Bones.

This plant is well over 60 years old.  My mother  remembered seeing at her parents house in the mid 1940's.  Grandma moved in with Mom around 1975 and brought the plant with her.  Mom came to live with us in 2008 and again, the plant came too. 
I transplanted it soon afterward and because we have a milder climate it became on outdoor plant. 
It is thriving.
It now measures about three feet from top to bottom and a little over two feet across.

I have been cutting it back to get new starts and will share them with family members who want them.  (We will be taking a road trip in September, so let me know if you want one.)

   
 I loved how the first "start" looked in a vase that I had, so began looking for more pots and vases in thrift stores.  I now have a small collection.

Here are some that I have planted over the past year that seem to be doing very well. 



And another
batch that I
planted today.   

Plus the ones in
water waiting for
roots to appear. 


No comments: