Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mom stuff

June 7th - Mom's birthday; today is our first one without her. Fortunately we have some good ones to look back on.

Five years ago today we were all on an Alaskan cruise, celebrating her 79th birthday. If you look closely at the bottom of the photo you can see the candle on the cake in front of her.


A year later was the big blow-out party at her church where approximately 100 people gathered to celebrate her 80th. And one of us had obtained a burn permit from the fire department for all of the candles ;).

In addition to those good memories I have lots of reminders hanging around the house, including some of the pictures she had painted years ago.

Lots of fabric (satin & lace shown here); more embroidery thread than I will ever use, even after giving some away; all of the satin yo-yos which she intended to make into a bedspread; some of her crocheted totes made from recycled plastic bags; and an abundance of crochet hooks with a few knitting needles thrown in for good measure.

And a few things still in her closet.

Good memories everywhere I look; none of these things bring me pain or sadness & I hope they won't for others who miss her. They remind me of a life well lived, an abundance of years filled to the brim and the fact that she is now living a much better life than she could have ever imagined.

p.s. if any family members can use or want something that was once hers please give me a call.

1 comment:

John said...

Very nice. I was just reflecting this weekend on the cruise and birthday party too. Good times. I'll take the crochet hooks if no one else wants them. No rush, just next time we are together.