Thursday, October 25, 2012

Trees...BIG Trees

Trees
by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed,
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

I do like poetry and have many "favorite" poems.  I have even written a few, but I strongly agree with Joyce Kilmer; there is no comparison between God's creation and any poem written by mere man.  
 
Mike and I recently went to an area in the Central California foothills named "Big Trees" where giant sequoias grow.  It was very impressive!!   Here are a few of the photos we took:
this is a grove of "new growth" where a fire allowed new trees to grow about 100 years ago









2 pictures of the same stump/tree from different angles; it was cut down
in the mid 1800's; the stump is 25 feet across and it was 280 feet tall




































We walked a 1.7 mile trail and had a printed guide telling about various trees along the path.  It was fascinating and was the highlight of our day.  There are some truly amazing trees and the overall beauty of God's creation can't be beat.

No comments: